Applying for Mexican Residency

Written by Tropicasa Realty
July 10th, 2018

While a tourist visa is all that is needed to buy a home in Puerto Vallarta, many people who purchase a home in Mexico consider applying for a temporary or permanent residency visa. The process to secure a Mexican residency visa can be a little lengthy, but overall is not difficult.

The first step is to make an appointment at the nearest Mexican Consulate in your country of origin. When the time comes for your appointment, you will need to be prepared with:

  • Your valid passport and photocopy of the photo and personal data pages
  • Completed visa application form
  • A 3.9 cm by 3.1 cm photograph, taken to standard (no glasses, jewelry, color photo on a white background)
  • Financial records showing income of $1,700 USD or more monthly, i.e., bank statements or pay stub
  • Yearly social security statement with photocopy
  • If applicable, documents proving ownership of a USA property/company/business and one photocopy
  • Official documents proving the ownership of a property in Mexico with photocopy, or a copy of the lease, should be renting
  • A clear criminal record from the police department of your city
  • $36 USD for the processing fee (subject to change)

The second part of the process is completed at the Immigration office in Puerto Vallarta, where you will need to provide:

  • A current utility bill proving your address in Mexico
  • A second set of photos
  • Passport
  • The tourist visa issued as you entered the country (FMM)
  • Any other letters or documents required based on your application.

The process takes approximately 5 weeks but it important to know that during that time, you cannot leave Mexico without an exit permit, which costs approximately $150 USD.

Contact your nearest Mexican Consulate for more information and take the next step from simply owning a home in Puerto Vallarta, to becoming a legal resident in our community.

Click here for more Puerto Vallarta real estate and lifestyle tips from Tropicasa Realty.