Puerto Vallarta summers come with increased humidity, rain, and some impressively stunning lightning shows over the bay, but it also can mean pesky mosquitos, which are not only an annoyance, but can carry diseases as well.
The main concern in this area is dengue fever, but luckily there aren’t many outbreaks. However, if you want to avoid those itchy bites, there are some simple things you can do to keep your Puerto Vallarta property mosquito-free this season.
- Install screen doors and windows at your Puerto Vallarta condo or home.
- If your home has a terrace, patio, or yard make sure that there is no accumulation of standing water that will attract mosquitos and encourage insects to multiply.
- Consider trying natural repellents such as citronella candles, small pots of cloves or planting rosemary, mint, or basil in your garden. These natural repellents can be great for avoiding bugs and spicing up your cooking!
- Wear insect repellent when heading outside, especially at dawn and dusk. You can find a variety of DEET-based and organic repellents, depending on your preference, at grocery and convenience stores and pharmacies.
- If you know you’re going to be trekking out into a heavy mosquito area, like while going on a hike, consider wearing lightweight long pants or long sleeves for extra protection.
It’s normal for more mosquitos to appear this time of year, but just follow these tips, and you can have an easy and breezy mosquito-free summer in Puerto Vallarta without worry.
Click here for more real estate and lifestyle advice from Tropicasa Realty.