The Easter holiday, known as Semana Santa in Mexico, is arguably the busiest time in Puerto Vallarta, as national visitors from Guadalajara, Mexico City and Tepic and foreigners from Canada, the United States and other parts of the world come to our beautiful destination to enjoy a Spring Break filled with sun, fun and surf. While it’s an exciting and vibrant two-week period in the city, with hotels and vacation rentals in Puerto Vallarta at near 100% occupancy, some things take a little more time than usual, so we have our Semana Santa Tips to allow you to relax and fully enjoy the holidays.
- Schools in Mexico close March 24rd to April 8th
- Anticipate banks being closed March 31st to April 2nd and get any banking requiring a teller done in advance. As well, many smaller businesses will be closed over the long weekend.
- Costco and grocery stores get very busy during these two weeks. It’s a great idea to stock up and get your shopping done early to avoid the crowds.
- Leave your car at home. Traffic can get congested during Semana Santa and parking is a challenge. Take public transportation instead and allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Be a clean leader. Our beaches are busy over the holidays and litter can accumulate. Be sure to not only pick up everything that you brought to the beach when you leave but take the extra step and pick up 5 other pieces of trash that you see on the beach as you go. It just takes a minute, but you’ll feel good about doing your part and more to help keep Puerto Vallarta beautiful.
Semana Santa is a wonderful time of year as Mexican nationals visit from the cities to enjoy the beauty of Puerto Vallarta, but also a special time of religious observance. With a little advance preparation, you can enjoy it all, without any inconvenience.
Click here for more Puerto Vallarta real estate and lifestyle tips from Tropicasa Realty.