As summer days are upon us, many Puerto Vallarta homeowners are looking for ways to keep their homes cool during the warmer months without having to rely entirely on air-conditioning. We have some easy tips to help keep your home cool and comfortable in the summer months that will not only help lower your electricity bills but are also eco-friendly.
- Block out the light. In rooms that you aren’t using, close the blinds or black-out curtains to block out direct sunlight and reduce the temperature by up to 30%.
- Live in one room at a time. Close the doors to rooms that aren’t in use and focus on cooling only the rooms that you are utilizing at the current time.
- Make the most of your fans. A bowl of ice in a metal bowl placed in front of a table fan functions as a DIY air-conditioner. Also, check the rotation setting on your ceiling fans – fans switched to rotate counterclockwise will have the best cooling effect on your home.
- Cotton bedding. Changing to 100% cotton bed linens will help you get a cooler and better night’s sleep.
- Cook outside. Even though it is warm outside, using your BBQ on your patio or terrace rather than the oven helps to keep your house much cooler. If it is too hot or rainy to BBQ, then use the stovetop or microwave to avoid the heat of the oven warming up your home
- Program your AC units. For sleeping, program your remote control to turn off periodically during the night and then restart, to save electricity and money while you sleep.
July through October are generally the warmest months in Puerto Vallarta, but with the warmer days come our late afternoon rains which cool down the temperature and break the humidity. So, with a little attention to detail, most homeowners can manage the summer season in Puerto Vallarta comfortably and with energy-efficiency.
Click here for more Puerto Vallarta real estate and lifestyle tips from Tropicasa Realty.