Our summer season in Puerto Vallarta is here and the start of our rainy season seems to be upon us even a little earlier than usual this year. If you own a home in Puerto Vallarta, it is a great idea to get your house or Vallarta condo prepared for the rainy season, which also happens to be our hurricane season. As we are located directly on the Pacific Ocean, Puerto Vallarta does receive tropical storm warnings during the season, which sometimes can be upgraded to a hurricane warning, but luckily, with the massive size of Banderas Bay and the Sierra Madre Mountains curving behind us, Puerto Vallarta has built-in hurricane protection. Normally, we just get a few months of incredible thunder and lightning shows, but as we learned with Hurricane Kenna in 2002 and Hurricane Lily in 1971, it is smart to have some emergency items in your Puerto Vallarta condo or home, just in case.
- A First-Aid Kit. These can be found at any grocery store or pharmacy and be sure to to add a small supply of any prescription medications you may take.
- Food and Water Supplies. The suggested amount for bottled water is 4 liters per day, per person, and you will want to have some non-perishable goods that can be consumed without heating. Don’t forget the can-opener and some basic utensils!
- Headlamps, flashlights, candles, matches and a lighter. Also handy is charged external batteries for cell phones.
- A change of clothes or two in a sealed plastic bag.
- Hygienic Needs. Toothbrushes and toothpaste, baby wipes and diapers, hand sanitizer, feminine hygiene products, and any other items you may need.
This is also a great time to get some new wiper blades if you own a car, check the tread on your tires and have the brakes checked by a mechanic, to make sure that your vehicle is prepared for driving in rainy conditions. A little preparedness provides peace of mind, so you can enjoy our lush and beautiful summer season in Puerto Vallarta.
Click here for more Puerto Vallarta real estate and lifestyle tips from Tropicasa Realty.